If you are looking for a beginners homemade bread recipe because you want to try out bread baking at home for the first time, or if you are an accomplished bread baker and want to go back to basics then this is a really nice recipe for a basic white sandwich bread. The recipe could not be easier and the end resulting sandwich bread is pretty as a picture. This recipe is so straight forward it only includes the most basic ingredients neccessary for a yeast dough, that is flour, water, salt, yeast and oil (the oil is optional). I reccomend that if you are a bread baking beginner then bake this white sandwich bread to get to know the whole process of fermentation and bread dough making. Also, maybe before you start it would be helpful to take a quick look through my bakers dozen of bread baking tips.
There is alot to be learned from the most basic of bread recipes, such as; how do you know when the dough is well kneaded? how elastic does it actually get? How does the dough appear when it is optimally prooved and ready to bake? How does the extent of prooving relate to the oven spring? All these little nuances of bread making become very clear after a little bit of practice and mastering a basic white sandwich bread is the perfect place to start.
However basic this loaf appears, even though i have been baking bread for many many years now, I still feel a great deal of satisfaction at producing a perfect picture book loaf of white sandwich bread. Don’t dismiss baking a simple white loaf like this becuase you can buy white loaves cheaply, it really is much better than store bought sandwich bread. Importantly, for those who only want to bake once a week or less you can multiply up this recipe and make 4-8 loaves in one go. It freezes well, so you can stock your freezer and have homemade bread for a hungry family for 1-2 weeks, at least.
Cost for one sandwich loaf; 1.42 Euro
Beginners homemade bread recipe
Ingredients for 1 medium sandwich loaf
350g warm water
600g strong bread flour (german 550 flour)
10g instant dried yeast
25g oil (optional)
1. Add all the ingredients to a large mixing bowl and combine.
2. Knead for 10 minutes using the dough hook of your mixer or by hand. If using a mixer do take the time to finish off the kneading by hand with some big stretches and folds
3. Form into a tight ball, place in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and leave at room temperature for 1 hour or until at least doubled in size.
4. Turn out your risen dough onto a work surface and deflate it by flattening it out into a roughly shaped rectangle.
5. Roll up the dough into a log and place into a buttered loaf tin.
6. Leave to proof at room temperature for ~45 minutes. This proofing time can vary according to the temperature of your kitchen, if you are in a hurry place the dough in a warm spot, such as in front of your preheating oven. In all cases when the dough has almost doubled in size again its ready to bake. Pre-heat your oven to 250 degrees C.
7. Brush the top of your loaf with melted butter and bake at 250 degrees for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat to 200 and bake for a further 30 minutes, or longer if you want a really brown loaf.
8. Cool on a wire rack, slice and enjoy with absolutely anything. Toasted with nutella is a favorite for this basic white sandwich bread.