Here is a quick instructable on how to make homemade fresh tomato sauce using ripe flavourful tomatoes. Its worth a little bit of time and effort to make your own as the flavour of the tomatoes will be much better than from store bought over-salted sauce. Use flavourful tomatoes such as Italian Roma tomatoes or your own home grown tomatoes. Any additional complimentary flavours such as basil, oregano, chilli or olives can be added to this basic recipe
Recipe for homemade fresh tomato sauce
Makes enough for about 8 medium pizzas or as a pasta sauce for 8 servings.
3kg of ripe flavourful tomatoes
3 tablespoons olive oil
1.5 teaspoons sugar
- Rinse and drain the tomatoes.
- With a very sharp knife, score the skin around the middle of each tomato.
- Steam the whole, scored tomatoes for 4 minutes, a pasta saucepan is good for this.
- Immediately place the steamed tomatoes into a large bowl and cover with cling film. leave to slightly cool in the steam inside the bowl. Then go back and steam another batch of tomatoes.
- Once the tomatoes have cooled just enough to be handled, remove from the bowl and remove the skins, the skins will come off very easily.
- Roughly chop all the peeled tomatoes and heat a large frying pan or wok.
- Add the olive oil to the pan and then cook the tomatoes under a med-low heat for approx. 1 hour.
- After the tomatoes have been simmered for about an hour they will have broken down to almost a sauce, now you can leave it as a chunky sauce or if your prefer purify with a stab mixer to a smooth sauce.
- Add the sugar and season well with salt and a little pepper.
- Further cook the sauce to reduce and slightly thicken.
- Once cooled the sauce can be used as a pizza sauce or for pasta. Any remaining sauce can be bagged and frozen for future use.