If you like a good english granary loaf you will love this multigrain sandwich bread. This recipe starts out with a basic yeast dough made with wheat flour and 30% wholewheat flour. The final bread however, is far from basic, it is transformed into a really tasty and super nutritious sandwich bread by adding lots of whole grains and seeds.
The whole wheat berries and whole rye grains are pre-soaked to soften them before adding to the dough. Flaxseeds, which provide a good healthy dose of omega fatty acids as well as a rich nutty flavour, and poppy seeds are then added to the dough, to give a wonderful complex crumb, both soft and crunchy.
This multigrain sandwich bread is easy to make and relatively fast. It could quite easily be classified as a go-to or mid week bread recipe.
Thanks to that soft even crumb this bread is not only perfect for sandwiches but is also makes great toast.
This bread keeps well for upto week if stored in a plastic bag. Or if you bulk up the recipe you can freeze it and enjoy later.
Multigrain sandwich bread recipe
Total time required: 3h 15minutes (after the overnight grain pre-soak)
Hands on time; 30 minutes
Prooving time: 1h 45 minutes
Baking time; 50-60 minutes
Ingredients for 1 large sandwich loaf
65g whole wheat grains (wheat berries)
45 g whole rye grains
420g warm water
7g dried yeast
25g brown sugar
450g all purpose flour
200g whole wheat flour
20g olive oil
35g flax seeds
35g poppy seeds
- Weigh the wheat and rye grains into a bowl, cover with boiled water and leave to soak for 8 hours, or overnight. The drain off and set aside until your dough is ready
- Add all the ingredients, except the flax and poppy seeds, in the order listed above, to a large bowl and combine well.
- Knead for 10 minutes either using an electric mixer with a dough hook or by hand. Finish the kneading by hand with a few big stretch and folds.
- Place the dough into an oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and leave to rise for 45-60 minutes, or until at least doubled in size.
- Turn out the dough onto your work surface and flatten out into a rough rectangle. Spread the soaked grains, flaxseeds and poppy seeds onto the dough and fold in on itself, then knead the dough until all the seeds and grains are well distributed.
- Flatten the dough again and then roll up into a log, the same length as your loaf tin. Place the rolled up dough into a buttered loaf tin and leave to re-rise at room temperature for 45 minutes, or until almost doubled in size. Pre-heat your oven to 250 degrees.
- When the loaf is ready for the oven, make an egg wash by beating an egg with a little water and brush onto the top of the loaf. Then using a sharp serrated knife, make a 1cm deep cut lengthwise into the top of the loaf.
- Bake at 250 degrees for 10minutes and then reduce the heat to 200 degrees and bake for a furter 40 minutes until deep brown.
So if you are planning a picnic, or just want some nice healthy bread for your families lunchboxes, this multigrain sandwich bread recipe is definitely worth a try. Please comment below if you have questions or somethingto say,