Savoury muffins are quick, versatile and the possible add-ins and flavour combinations are endless. Here, I have chosen a classic Greek combination of feta cheese, basil, olives and tomato. I also added some chopped pickled pepperoni peppers, they add a tang which works wonderfully well with the other strong salty flavours.
These savoury picnic muffins are low in sugar and fat and are great portable snacks for picnics and packed lunches.
Savoury picnic muffins – recipe
Total time; 30-35 minutes
hands on time; 10 minutes
baking time; 20 minutes
Ingredients for 12-14 muffins
500g all purpose flour
15g baking powder
25g rapeseed oil
2 table spoons fresh basil leaves, finely chopped.
1 teaspoon dried italian mixed herbs
4 mild pickled peperroni peppers, chopped
handful of kalamata olives, de-stoned and roughly chopped
150g greek feta cheese
12-15 cherry tomotoes, quartered
grated parmesan cheese for sprinkling on top, optional.
- Pre-heat your oven to 200 degrees C. Butter a 12 muffin tin.
- In a large bowl combine all the ingredients apart from the feta cheese and tomatoes. Mix with your hands and gently knead, just until it comes together to a rough dough. Avoid overkneading this dough otherwise you will have heavy and dense muffins.
- Crumble in the feta cheese and gently knead to incorporate the feta into the dough.
- Turn the dough out onto your work surface and using your hands form into golf ball sized pieces and place them into your buttered muffin tray.
- Press some tomato pieces into each muffin and finish with a sprinkling of parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 200 degrees for 20 minutes until nicely browned.
Is the sun shining? Feel like heading out for a picnic? these savoury picnic muffins will be great as part of a healthy picnic spread. They are really easy and quick to make too, please try them!