Grunkorn (actually Gruenkorn in real German) is spelt grain that which is harvested half ripe and then dried. It has a rather distinct nutty taste and is popular in German cooking. Many German families cook the grains and then use them in soups, salads and even make healthy vegetarian burgers with them. Here I am using this wonderful, super-healthy grain to enrich a whole spelt sandwich loaf. My whole spelt and grunkorn bread is a simple recipe using a blend of whole spelt and wheat flours and plenty of whole grunkorn grains. This bread is not only hearty and wholesome in appearance it packs a healthy punch of wholegrain fibre, as well as a bit more protein that you would find in a regular wheat bread.
This whole spelt and grunkorn bread has a strong flavour and a moist crumb, its a deliciously interesting loaf.
Recipe for whole spelt and grunkorn bread
Makes 2 large sandwich loaves
1000ml warm water
14g dried yeast
20g cocoa powder
700g whole spelt flour
600g strong bread flour (German 550 flour)
35g rapeseed oil
250g Gruenkorn, pre-soaked and cooked according the package instructions.
- First of all soak your grunkorn grains in pleny of water for 1 hour, then exchange the water and bring to the boil. Gently simmer until soft, this takes approx 1 hour, but can vary for different brands of grunkorn, so just read your package.
- Combine all the dough ingredients apart from the grunkorn grains in a large bowl or mixer. Knead using the dough hook of your mixer for 10 minutes or by hand.
- Fully develop the dough by stretching and folding until its nice and elastic. I do this right in the bowl, but it you prefer do it on a floured work surface.
- Cover and leave to rise for 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Turn out the dough onto your work surface and gently knock the air our.
- Divide into 2, shape into rough rectangles and place in your oiled loaf tins.
- While the loaves are prooving, pre-heat your oven to 250 degrees C.
- Once the loaves have reached the rim of the tin they are ready to bake, this takes about 30 minutes, but varies depending on the temperature and humidity in your kitchen.
- Use a serrated knife to slash the surface of your loaves and place into the pre-heated oven. Immediately redce teh heat to 190-200 degrees C and bake for 35 minutes or until nicely brown.
- Cool on a wire rack and enjoy while fresh with Olive oil spread, cheese, or sweet toppings. This bread will last for a few days and is great toasted.