Baking with spelt flour is becoming increasingly popular, and for good reasons. Whole grain spelt bread has all the health benefits of whole grains, but with an additional nutritional boost from the increased protein content of spelt flour compared to wheat flour. Spelt grains and therefore spelt breads are reportedly easier to digest than wheat or rye and are therefore a good choice for people with gluten sensitivity.
Spelt flour, both white and wholegrain, has a rather distinctive nutty flavour and baking bread with spelt flour can be really rewarding. Not only do you get all those health benefits, but also a beautifully flavoured bread that is very versatile in its eating uses.
If you are interested in baking a healthy tasty bread, be it for breakfast with butter and jam, lunch with cheese, or alongside your dinner or favourite soup this recipe for whole grain spelt bread with honey would be a great choice.
I am keeping the recipe and instructions rather brief in this post, if you are a beginner or need more details please read my baking tips.
Whole grain spelt bread recipe
Poolish, or pre-ferment.
500g whole spealt flour
250g warm water
- The evening before you want to bake your whole grain spelt loaf mix all the ingredients for the poolish and leave at room temperature for 8-12 hours or overnight.
- The next day, combine all the ingredients for the main dough, add the pre-fermented poolish. Knead the dough for 10 minutes until the dough is nice and elastic.
- Form the dough into a tight ball, place in an oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and leave to rise for 2-3 hours at room temperature until the dough has at least doubled in sized.
- Deflate the dough and turn out onto a lightly floured work surface. Form into a tight ball and place into a floured proving basket.
- Cover with a cloth and leave to prove at room temperature for 45 minutes. Pre-heat your oven and baking stone to 250 degrees C .
- Carefully turn out your proved dough onto a bakers peel, dust with flour and slash the top with a serrated knife.
- Transfer onto your pre-heated baking stone and bake with steam at 250 degrees C for 10 minutes. Then reduce the heat to 200 degrees and bake for a further 45 minutes until your loaf is nice and dark
So, a nice and easy recipe for a healthy whole grain spelt bread, happy bread baking.